Trenton is the county seat for Gibson County. The downtown area of the town features Court Square with the county courthouse as its prime architectural feature. The three-red and blond brick courthouse built in 1899 features a clock tower and a hanging bell. The town itself was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 as the Trenton Historic District with 96 buildings and 520 acres - this collection of homes includes antebellum mansions, quaint cottages, and three tree-lined streets. Most of the homes are privately owned, but the restored Freed House is owned and operated by the city. It is open for tours, luncheons, and teas (with prior arrangements and by reservations only) --- it is also rented for special events (call the city hall for all Freed House inquiries).
Trenton is the home of "The World's Largest Collection of Veilleuse-Theieres," or night light teapots. These are not your standard teapots; the collection is classified as art. A spout in this collection might be a bobbin of yarn in the hand of a woman, an opening in a man's hat, or in the hand of a goddess riding on the back of a leaping dolphin. The collection was donated to the city by former Trentonian, Dr. Frederick Freed. There are 525, no two identical. The teapot are housed in city hall and they may be viewed at any time.
For a detailed tour and more information on the teapots, visit trentontn.net/teapot-museum/
Trenton City Hall
309 South College Street Trenton, TN 38382
Phone: (731) 855-2013
Fax: (731) 855-1091
Second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at 6:00 PM in the Conference Room of City Hall.
Ricky Jackson, Mayor
CeCe Jones, Alderman
Michael “Bubba” Abbott, Alderman
Billy Wade, Alderman
Frank Gibson, Alderman
Tony Burriss, Alderman
Ricky Graves, Alderman
For more information on the utility services and schools in the area click on the icons below: